When Barbara Kline took a sip from her Vita Coco coconut water on April 25, she knew something was not right.
A slimy clump of — well, something — had slid through the straw and down her throat.
“It was really nasty and it tasted really thick,” she told ABC.
The 34-year-old New York resident opened up the package to reveal gooey mass resembling the intestine of a small creature.
“The legs, they’re legs,” Kline claimed, believing the mass to be some kind of animal. “There’s definitely something other than mold in there.”
Kline says she was vomiting for up to a week after ingesting some of the substance and is having increased difficulty breathing (she has asthma). But all of the medical tests she’s taken have come back negative.
She posted photos of the product and her disturbing discovery on Facebook, in a post that has been shared more than 70,000 times.
“I just want answers,” she said. “I want answers. I want to know what it is.”
The water company issued a statement on the case and reached out to Kline asking to test the substance. Kline declined, saying that she wanted it to be tested by an independent lab, she wants her lawyer present, she wants the test notarized, and she wants access to all of the results.
“Vita Coco employs the highest standards of food safety at all its production facilities and our beverages are quality- and food safety-tested internally, and also by an external quality control specialist, before being distributed,” the statement reads.
“However, because Vita Coco beverages do not contain preservatives, on rare occasion, random spoilage may occur.”
Kline insists that she is not taking action in the interest of getting money — though the company is the world’s leading producer of coconut water — but in the interest of consumers.
“I feel like no one is taking this is serious as I am, because they aren’t in my situation,” Kline said. “Would you want to drink this?”
Next, read about a zombie parasite that lives inside fish’s eyeballs and controls their behavior. Then, check out totally gross origins of pink lemonade.