In London this afternoon, an unidentified man drove an all-wheel-drive vehicle across Westminster Bridge at around 2:40 p.m., running over multiple pedestrians in the process, before crashing into the English Parliament fence. He then got out of the car and ran inside the grounds, where he stabbed a policeman before being shot to death himself by the police.
Authorities have yet to identify the man who drove the vehicle, but he is responsible for the deaths of at least three people. In addition to the police officer, two of those deaths occurred on the bridge, one of which was a woman knocked into the path of an oncoming double-decker bus.
“This is the day we have planned for but we hoped would never happen,” Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said, according to The New York Times. “Sadly, it’s now a reality.”
According to The New York Times, the incident is the nation’s deadliest terrorist attack since the 2005 subway bombings. In addition to the four deaths (including the assailant), at least 20 people were injured during the attack, including several police officers.
Also injured were a group of French students and a woman who was violently catapulted into the river from the bridge after being struck by the vehicle.
“A full counterterrorism investigation is underway,” Metropolitan Police Commander B. J. Harrington said at a brief news conference, according to The New York Times. He went on to ask the English public to keep away from central London for the time being and to upload any images and videos of the incident, a process that is indeed already underway…
A car on Westminster Bridge has just mowed down at least 5 people. pic.twitter.com/tdCR9I0NgJ
— Radosław Sikorski (@sikorskiradek) March 22, 2017
— Yahoo UK News (@YahooNewsUK) March 22, 2017
Next, discover why terror attacks fell worldwide yet surged 650% in the developed world last year.